October 7, 2020
As the HVAC industry continues to grow, HVAC technicians are in high demand. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in the HVAC field are projected to grow 4% between 2019-2029. To help stand out and succeed in this field, we compiled a list outlining the top HVAC technician skills.
Top HVAC Technician Skills
- Time Management: Effective time management is a particularly useful skill in HVAC. Technicians often have multiple service calls in a day. Knowing how to efficiently complete the necessary tasks on each job is critical to keep the schedule on track.
- Detail-Oriented: Taking thorough notes and paying close attention to detail is a vital component of the job. Understanding what work was performed and what equipment was serviced helps everyone involved- including the office staff, technicians and customers.
- Communication/Customer Service: It is likely a technician will have to interact with the customer whose HVAC system they are servicing. Whether it is speaking to a customer directly or writing up a service report/invoice, it is important to have excellent communication skills and to articulate information clearly.
- Physical Strength: HVAC equipment is very heavy and bulky. Not only is it important to feel comfortable lifting the heavy weight, but it is equally as important knowing the correct way to lift heavy objects to prevent getting injured on the job.
- Mechanical: As part of any technician’s job is repairing or replacing HVAC equipment, it is important that a technician feels comfortable working with mechanical systems. Therefore, training courses and on-the-job experience is crucial for technicians to learn necessary mechanical skills.
- Education: Most HVAC companies require a high school diploma or GED to qualify for employment. However, educational requirements vary by company. For instance, a company may require a minimum of 18 months of classroom training and/or 2 to 5 years experience.
In summary, a job as a HVAC technician is a great profession to work in. Not only is there a high demand for jobs, but also, it is considered a life essential business in many states. If you are interested in applying for a job to work at our company, please visit our website. For all other questions, you can email us at [email protected].
Categories: HVAC, HVAC Career, HVAC Technician